Buying a property for the first time may appear to some as quite a tedious, yet exciting, process, as there are so many factors to consider. It is also a very important step in most first-time purchasers. lives as it often symbolizes the most significant financial decision they may have to make. This is why good, sound advice should be sought from reputable experts regarding your needs and wants and then matching these to your means and then to what is available.

At WRPS we aim to provide a service that simplifies this entire process from deciding what it is you want, then finding it, right through to purchasing and financing it and making it yours!!!

The following is some general information that could be of assistance when making those major decisions:

The main costs associated to purchasing a property:

This depends on the particular transaction requirements. It is usually a percentage of the purchase price, paid either into the Estate Agency's Trust Account or the Transferring Attorney's Trust Account. This amount is deducted from the purchase price and the balance is usually due on the registration date of the property.

Transfer Fees
An amount charged by the transferring attorneys for transferring the property into your name.

Transfer Duty
Currently, in South Africa no Transfer Duty is applicable to sales up to R600 000. Thereafter it is calculated on a sliding scale, from 5% onwards and increases as the sale/purchase price increases

Transfer costs are payable to the Transferring Attorneys who will attend to various disbursements.

Bond Costs
This cost depends on the value of the bond to be registered and is payable to the bond registration attorneys.

Note!! It is very important to determine how much you can afford to pay towards a home loan. This, amongst other factors such as monthly income and living and or other expenses, will determine more or less the price range in which you can buy.

For more advice about buying your property contact us at or call 083 300 7866 or 083 3093274


Once you have decided how much you can afford to buy for, you need to determine what you are looking for in a home. Other factors to consider are the number of bedrooms required, condition of property, location of property (proximity of transport, schools, etc) and neighbourhood & general safety.

Full Title implies the transfer of full ownership rights to the buyer.

House is word is used to describe a normal house.

Cluster home means a freehold property, usually in a development of similar houses. The group of houses usually has limited access and good security. Each house is individually owned, each responsible for their own maintenance and upkeep.

Semi-detached house describes two houses that are attached to one another. They may be on separate stands or they can also be on one stand. They may be sold as separate units in a sectional title development.

Smallholding is classification of a property if it is situated in or within a 150km radius of a built-up area, does not exceed 20 hectares, and is able to be connected to a local authority water supply or has a borehole. The main activity must not be farming; its primary use must be for residential purposes.

Sectional title describes separate ownership of a unit (section) within a complex(apartment block).

Mini subtype house is a small, sub-divided portion of a large property which is suitable for cluster housing developments.

Apartment or flat is a unit which must be in an approved sectional title complex. The complex must only contain residential units.

Vacant land refers to a piece of land in residential area that has no building structure on it, but is suitable for constructing a building for residential or commercial purposes.

We hope this has provided a clearer understanding of the type of property you would like to purchase, the size of the property and what your budget should be.

For more information on what is available or just for more advice contact any of our agents at

Alternatively, make an appointment with an agent to discuss your needs and how we can assist you in meeting them.

Contact us at or call 083 300 7866 or 083 3093274.

Buying a home should be an enjoyable and exciting experience; however, a clear head should be maintained at all times. Be 100% sure of your decision before signing any documentation.

A Deed of Sale is an agreement in writing containing all the terms and conditions for the purchase and sale of immovable property. Firstly, an Offer to Purchase document is completed and signed by the party wanting to buy a particular property which is then presented to the owner of the property who on accepting the offer will sign the Offer to Purchase document. Both parties' signatures on this document constitute it a Deed of Sale document. This is a legally binding document on both parties, each having to fulfill their respective obligations as set out by this mutual agreement.

Ensure that you understand each term and condition in this document and if there is anything that you are uncertain about; ask a professional, unbiased third party. Fill in as much detail as possible, crossing out blank spaces and initial all changes. Insist on a copy for your own records and protection.

The Deed of Sale must stipulate how the property is to be purchased:
Is it a cash purchase or is it partly financed?
(At WRPS we offer a comprehensive service that covers each aspect of this process)

Suspensive conditions are conditions that suspend a sale until such time that this condition is fulfilled. The most common suspensive condition is that of a Bank Guarantee for the payment of the purchase price. Suspensive conditions normally have time limits in which they need to be fulfilled.

A conveyancing attorney would attend to the registration of the property. This simply means that the process of transferring ownership from the seller to the buyer is done by an attorney known as a conveyancer.

The transfer process normally takes six to twelve weeks depending on the complexity of the transaction, co-operation of all relevant parties and time required for finance approval.

Compliance Certificates
By law, an Electrical, Beetle and Plumbing Compliance Certificates have to be issued with every new purchase of a property to confirm that the property complies with safety regulations. It is the obligation of the seller to supply it to the purchaser prior to registration of the property.

For more advice about buying your property contact us at or call 083 300 7866 or 083 3093274.

See latest COVID-19 updates on government website